Feb 06, 2014
Let's get real - "perfect abs" don't come over night and there's noway you're going to get a six pack in a week - no matter how many crunches you might do. Sad but true!
You know what does work? A consistent ‘clean eating plan’, a varied exercise routine, and good posture. They are essential to helping you maintain the abs you love or getting the ones you desire!
I’m often asked to share my secret to an amazing core - so I’m giving you a heads up this week on workouts AND clean eating recipes that will not only strengthen your abdominals but give you the confidence to stand tall.
Do this 3 times this week for (1) month and you’ll DEFINITELY notice a difference. Keep it up for three months and you’ll be on your way to ABS-olutely fABulous in no time (see what I did there?)
Stir the Pot Exercise
10 reps in each direction
1. Start in plank position with elbows on a stability ball
2. Keeping your body in one straight line rotate elbows 10 times to the right and reverse 10 times to left.
3. Keep core, legs, butt all engaged by squeezing all your muscles.
Wall sit with medicine ball twist
Photo Image: Jeff Lipsky Fitbie.com
1. Start in a wall sit position with feet on floor, knees in line with ankles and belly button drawn to your spine.
2. Using a 10 pound medicine ball (staying in wall sit position) hold medicine ball in front of you and rotate ball from right to left.
3. Keep arms slightly bent and go back and fourth for 30-60 seconds.
Foam Roller Plank
1. Starting in plank postion place ankles on a foam roller
2. Hold plank for 30-60 seconds.
3. For a more advanced version roll forward and backwards.
Repeat entire circuit 4 rotations
Salmon is THE PERFECT combination of healthy fat and nutrition to help you hone in those perfect abdominals.
Combine this recipe with your regular “clean eating”, no sugar, meal plan and you’ll be astounded by the results.
MELISSA PARIS FITNESS ABS-CENTRIC SALMON
(Makes 3 servings. Serve with steamed veggie of your choice)
3 pieces wild salmon
3 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1/2 a lemon - juiced
Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
Place salmon pieces on broiling pan.
Roast for 10 minutes.
Mix together mustard, maple syrup, garlic & lemon juice.
After the 10 minutes of cooking put mustard mix on salmon and return to the oven for 10 minutes or fully cooked.
Posture is the KEY to great abs. Whether you’re sitting down or standing up - remember to keep your back straight and your core ENGAGED.
— Sit with your back against chair. When Seated your knees should be sightly higher than your hips with feet on the floor.
— Keep your head up and try to avoid leaning forward which can happen if you work long hours in a seated position.
— Position chair close to your desk and if you feel your low back tightening over the long day put your feet up on a small garbage can or stool.
— When exercising try to avoid sitting back down, for example on a bike or seated exercise equipment.
— Using a back pack is a great way to distribute the load.